Learning How to Live
Change, stress and self-development are all a part of college life. The Counseling Center offers free confidential services to help students overcome problems, past and present and gain self-understanding and direction. These services include individual and group counseling, educational programs, consultations, and referral.
As an individual, you may have concerns with a wide variety of life situations. South Mountain Community College counselors are available to assist you. We can provide the tools you need to overcome doubt and deal with stress. Counseling is completely confidential and voluntary, and you may select the counselor of your choice.
Services provided by the counseling faculty include:
- Career and Educational Counseling: To assist in exploring possible vocational direction and learning about you and your place in the workforce.
- Personal-Social Counseling: To help examine concerns which interfere with your personal development and growth or relationships with others.
- Referral: To provide resource information and referral to outside agencies for ongoing assistance with personal and emotional concerns.
- Crisis Counseling.
- Counselors Available by Appointment:
Monday - Friday
All Counseling Services are available to current students. Career and Educational Counseling services are also available to prospective and past students on a limited basis only. Stop by or call (602) 305-5608 for an appointment. Counselors are located in the Student Services Building next to the Learning Assistance Center.
Fall & Spring Hours of Operations:
- Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
Special evening counseling appointments may be arranged with individual counselors.
Summer Hours of Operations:
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Special evening appointments for counseling can be arranged with individual counselors.
HOW DO COUNSELORS HELP?
Counseling helps by:
- Helping people understand themselves, their abilities and potential.
- Helping people through changing circumstances and transition from one stage in life to the other.
- Helping people grow in the midst of personal crisis or despite a lack of resources.
- Helping people set goals, overcome barriers, access resources and plan fulfilling, productive lives.
That's what counselors do. They help people of all ages and from all walks of life on the journey to reach their goals and aspirations. Counselors assist individuals in making sound and positive decisions about their lives and often help address concerns and challenges to prevent crisis. Counselors through continued education and experience, develop expertise in counseling people with specific needs. To better serve clients, many agencies, centers and practices specialize in counseling people with a specific need. Consumers can check on the specialties of different agencies to determine which services will be most helpful for them. As the relationship between a counselor and client are very personal, consumers may find talking with different counselors helpful in choosing one who is a good match for them.
To learn more about benefits of professional counseling, contact: